Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Unemployed and drunk

Friday, Jan. 11, marks a significant milestone at the Springer household. I (the matriarch) am unemployed! I ended my nearly six-year tenure with Buca di Beppo last week when I volunteered to be laid off as part of Buca's "reduction in force."

Although my job was not on the chopping block, my co-worker WAS about to get laid off. Anyone who knows me well also knows that I had fantasized about quitting my job for a long time. While I loved working at Buca - LOVED it - I love my kids more! I was constantly struggling to balance work and family, feeling guilty all the while that I wasn't able to spend more time with my yummy babes.

So, when I heard the layoffs were coming, I emailed my boss and volunteered to off myself. He accepted! And, my co-worker's job was spared - a pleasant side-effect.

I'm unemployed and DRUNK with joy. I will do some freelance work in order to keep me sharp (and keep food on the table!), but I'll have a lot more time to enjoy my precious Jack & Abby. What a great thing.

14 comments:

michelle said...

Congratulations! Did you get any deals?

barb w said...

can't believe I found you online. Good for you for following your heart!!!
Take care or those cuties!

barb w said...

take care OF those cuties......

Mishlers said...

Yeah, let's get together and let our little girls play!!

Mandy Eames said...

Hey Woman! Congrats on your news! I must say, I just love looking at your blog, your babies are so freaking cute that I can hardly stand it! I can't believe what a little man Jack is! He looks just like a mini-me of Scott. And Abby, she is so sweet, you could just eat her! I am so happy for you and your darling family! Say hi to Scott for me, and keep the cute pics coming!
XOXO Mandy :o)

Benson Fam said...

Oh Katie- that's great! I've always been amazed at how you do everything and are so freakin happy and cute all the time! You're making me look bad:). Joe and I have been to our Buca here in Alpharetta, GA a few times and thought of you. Congratulations!

Ang said...

Yay!! I'm so excited for you!!

Courtney said...

Yeahh!!! That is exciting! Wish I was still there so we could hang out every day!

Lianne Barr said...

I am so happy for you. You really are one of the best mom's that I know!

Chelle and Aaron said...

Way to go Katy! I hope you enjoy your new found freedom.

Rachel Ure said...

you're post title had me a little worried... but then i read on and got so excited for you. it will be an adjustment- i am sure- but i am glad you feel good about it! - and it's so like you to to sacrifice your job for someone else- (even if you consider yourself better off)

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you. Wow Inever thought I would say that to someone who lost their job. But you are going to enjoy being home with your kids. Yeah

Unknown said...

OMG... the entire time we played phone message tag I had No idea. OF course I know you've been torn for the longest time bw loving your job and making the time for your home/kids. Wow! Good for you and the Springer clan. I don't have my own munchies and still keep questioning if a corp life is really right for me w.r.t spending time for family and life in general. Am really happy for you doll. So no more nanny I take it. The kids must be loving having u around. Sooo bummed that I didnt get to c u all this whirlwind trip. Will stay in touch of course and lets try and meet soon. Loadsa xo... anj ...oh, pls post more pics either on this blog or then facebook.

Joey said...

Hi Katie -

I got your message but I wrote the number down wrong so I hope you get this. Please give me a call at the store (415-575-3000).

Congrats on the career move.

Joey